Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Three (3) years of education related to the job.
Experience may substitute for education up to three (3) years
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position will report to the IT Supervisor Sr. within the Austin Code IT Division.
This position will work with the Austin Code Department Information Technology team and will support a wide range of critical hardware and software services for the department.
This position will manage hardware and software inventory for the department, perform research of hardware and software solutions, make recommendations for hardware and software, be responsible for procurement of IT purchases, troubleshoot hardware and software issues, creating documentation for internal processes, and manage IT service contracts.
Please note: These essential functions as described are not all of the functions related to this position.
Criminal back ground check is required.
Regarding your application:
When completing the City of Austin employment application, any gaps in employment must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Work experience must include month and year.
Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. Incomplete applications will not be considered. References must be a minimum of three (3) verifiable references who can verify your work experience i.e. (supervisor or direct report). No relatives or friends are allowed to be noted in the reference section.
While a cover letter and resume are required, they will not be used in place of a fully completed application.
This posting may be used to fill other similar positions within Austin Code Department outside of the division listed above. Please note: Austin Code reserves the right to close this position at any time after seven (7) days.
Top Candidates are required to provide education credential verification if required in the minimum and preferred qualifications, this may include diploma, degree or transcripts verifying education completion.
Please note that all Austin Code Department locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any ACD worksite - including the parking lot or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$26.42 - $34.35
M-F (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)*
Hours may vary based on business needs.
Telework options may be available.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
5202 E. Ben White Blvd., Suite 550
- Experience managing hardware/software inventory
- Knowledge of and experience with the City of Austin's IT procurement policies
- Experience in Help Desk/Service Desk technical support.
- Experience providing remote technical support for desktops, standard and rugged laptops, and cell phones.
- Exceptional customer service habits.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Performs systematic analysis for identifying and diagnosing faults and determining root causes
2. Improves Tier I and Tier II business processes
3. Provides key performance indicator analysis and reports to management
4. Works with customers and purchasing to recommend, obtain quotes and deploy new solutions.
5. Recommends performance improvements
6. Performs advanced end-to-end support utilizing industry best practices
7. Serves as lead resource on teams
8. Performs advanced system administration functions
9. Develops, documents, publishes and provides advanced communications
10. Provides advanced and escalated technical support
11. Performs complex hardware, software, and applications support and preventative maintenance
12. Manages inventory and record keeping
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide technical leadership, work assignments, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of standard application and operation systems
• Skill in accurate reporting, documenting, and entering data and reconciling and escalating issues
• Skill in technical writing and excellent verbal communication
• Skill in proactive approach to problem solving
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and professionalism
• Ability to build rapport and elicit problem details from customers
• Ability to identify and learn appropriate software and hardware
• Ability to triage, engage others, and escalate appropriately
• Ability to identify and analyze system-to-system faults
• Ability to provide in-depth technical advice, guidance and training to technicians and customers
• Ability to troubleshoot and restore all Tier I and Tier II hardware and software problems
• Ability to follow-through with minimal direction
• Ability to adjust to frequently changing priorities
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires a minimum of (3) three years of education related to the job. Experience may substitute for this education requirement up to (3) years. Do you meet this minimum requirement?
- * Are you a current Austin Code Department employee?
- * If identified as the top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
- * How many years experience do you have providing technical support on an IT help desk or service desk?
- Less than one (1) year
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5+ years
- * What is your experience level with procurement of IT hardware or services?
- * Describe a time where you performed hardware or software research so that a purchasing decision could be made.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is a difficult experience you had providing IT support to a customer and how did you deal with it?
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- ResumeOptional Documents