Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus five (5) years of experience in a finance related field, two (2) years of which include management experience.
- Additionally, experience must include one year of accounting. Up to twelve (12) hours of accounting coursework may substitute for accounting experience.
- A Master's in Finance, Accounting, or Business related field or a CPA certification may substitute for two (2) years of experience requirement.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The Austin Code Department makes sure city codes and ordinances are met so Austin continues to be a livable city. We do this by educating, collaborating and partnering with neighborhoods, businesses, nonprofits and other City of Austin departments.
The Financial Manager II will be responsible for developing and overseeing Austin Code Department financial activities and staff including general accounting, purchasing, accounts payable, contract management, travel, fees, revenue, fiscal surety, budget, asset management, fleet and safety.
This position will also be responsible for overseeing an approximate $65 Million budget, complex fee schedule, as well as determining program goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
Please note: These essential functions as described are not all of the functions related to this position.
Regarding your application:
When completing the City of Austin employment application, any gaps in employment must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Work experience must include month and year.
Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. Incomplete applications will not be considered. References must be a minimum of three (3) verifiable references who can verify your work experience i.e. (supervisor or direct report). No relatives or friends are allowed to be noted in the reference section.
While a cover letter and resume are required, they will not be used in place of a fully completed application.
A virtual 10 minute presentation and 60 minute writing assessment will also be required for this position if applicant is selected for an interview.
DUE TO COVID -19 all interviews will be conducted via Microsoft Teams 365 virtually.
This posting may be used to fill other similar positions within Austin Code Department outside of the division listed above. Please note: Austin Code reserves the right to close this position at any time after seven (7) days.
Please note that all Austin Code Department locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any ACD worksite-including parking lot or in any personal vehicle located on the premise.
$37.12 - $49.18
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Additional hours, evenings, and/or weekends may be required based on business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
5202 E. Ben White Blvd, Ste. 550 - Austin, Texas 78704
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience working with an enterprise department budget and fee calculations
- Experience managing Finance and Accounting professionals, developing and implementing financial-related processes and procedures to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- Experience with financial and business intelligence systems (i.e., AIMS , e-Capris, e-Combs,
- Experience with MS Office Suite, specifically Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to develop, liaise, and maintain relationships with both internal and external
stakeholders, department directors and executives
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to manage and develop staff through significant changes
- Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong customer service skills
Strategic thinker, able to formulate and communicate sound business strategy
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all dealings; and
- Demonstrated ability to meet aggressive time lines
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Properly accounts for and safe-guards the City's cash and other assets for mid-sized enterprises or functions within a department.
- Provides general oversight over department's accounting, budgeting, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue, CIP , grants, fixed assets, inventory, and payroll functions. May provide oversight for non-financial areas.
- Guides financial decisions of the organization by preparing financial information for presentation and consideration by management.
- Manages the development of the budget for the organization, performs budget analysis, provides guidance and recommendations to management, monitors the budget by reviewing current year estimates and budget variance reports, and reviews historical and forecast budget information.
- Provides feedback and analysis of organization performance measures, goals, and objectives by compiling relevant financial, business, service and operational information, identifying and evaluating trends, and recommending corrective actions.
- Reviews financial and budget reports and performs financial analyses by managing compilation of appropriate information.
- Manages development of organization's financial forecast; ensuring revenue, expenditure and debt service projections meet applicable financial policies, guidelines and benchmarks, such as requirements for debt service coverage and cash reserves.
- Manages the development of service rates, cost of service studies, and customer class rate proposals for Council.
- May manage requirements of a regulatory environment including rate proceedings, rate filing documentation, expert testimony development and delivery, litigation support, and settlement negotiations.
- May manage debt program including revenue bond planning and issuance, development and update of Bond Official Statements, rating agency presentation development, management of commercial paper programs, reconciliations of debt service schedules, and analysis of bond refinancing or defeasance opportunities.
- Manages the development of the capital budget, long-range plan and five-year plan.
- Prepares, reviews, and evaluates financial and accounting documents, reports, and statements and ensures that financial transactions are recorded promptly and properly.
- Ensure financial staff are appropriately trained on the City's systems of record and on citywide policies and procedures.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal. May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training and guidance to others.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of the processes and theories used for public budgetary and financial policies.
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principals and practices
- Knowledge of financial reporting and internal control systems
- Knowledge of utility ratemaking and cost of service study methodology
- Knowledge of debt instruments, cash management and utility financing methods
- Knowledge of forecasting models; econometric studies, analysis and forecasting; and estimating methods and techniques
- Knowledge of cost benefits analysis, feasibility studies and net present value analysis methods
- Knowledge of enterprise budgeting, financial planning or accounting.
- Knowledge of preferred business practices * Knowledge of financial and budget systems and reporting
- Knowledge of leadership/supervisory/management best practices
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheet and database models
- Skill in development of presentations
- Skill in effective oral and written communications
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting complex financial records
- Skill in determining need and compiling, analyzing and presenting financial information and data for management and Council use
- Ability to resolve problems or situations that require the exercising of good judgement
- Ability to prepare complex and accurate financial reports
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus five (5) years of experience in a finance related field, two (2) years of which include management experience. Additionally, experience must include one year of accounting. Up to twelve (12) hours of accounting coursework may substitute for accounting experience. A Master's in Finance, Accounting, or Business related field or a CPA certification may substitute for two (2) years of experience requirement.. Do you meet these qualifications?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* Please describe your ability to develop, liaise, and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, department directors and executives.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your organizational skills and ability to prioritize and effectively manage time.
(Open Ended Question)
* Position requires exceptional communication skills (verbal and written), excellent customer service skills, ability to work in a fast paced environment, ability to handle and resolve difficult customer issues and requests, and the ability to make complex independent decisions. Rate yourself 1 - 5, 5 being exceptional in all areas.
* Do you have the ability to exercise good judgement, tact and diplomacy in all dealings and maintain confidentiality as required.
* Do you have experience presenting financial reports to public officials, boards, and/or stakeholders?
* What is your skill level with financial and business intelligence systems (i.e., AIMS, e-Capris, e-Combs, and Microstrategy)?
* What is your skill level with cost-of-service analysis and fee calculations?
* How many years of experience do you have managing finance and accounting professionals developing and implementing financial-related processes and procedures to achieve organizational goals and objectives where you were responsible for at least one employee?
* Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Excel?
- • Beginner: skill level includes data entry, basic formatting (page setup, column width, etc.), creating spreadsheets, etc.
- • Intermediate: skill level includes basic calculations, use of functions, complex formatting (cell manipulation, etc.), charts/graphs (static), etc.
- • Advanced: skill level includes pivot tables, V Lookups, formula creation, use of functions for formula creation, etc.
- • Expert: skill level includes macros creation, complex formula creation/manipulation, charts/graphs (dynamic), create database queries, etc.
- • None of the above
* Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Word?
- Beginner: skill level includes creating/editing/saving files, applying text formatting, using templates, using spell checks, inserting date/time, etc.
- Intermediate: skill level includes formatting pages/sections, margins, tabs, outlines and headers/footers, inserting text boxes, tables and graphs, tracking changes, inserting hyperlinks, protecting documents, etc.
- Advanced: skill level includes using mail merge, creating forms, footnotes and headers, superscripts/subscripts, etc.
- Expert: skill level includes creating index/concordance, line drawings and macros, importing/exporting files, etc.
- Limited or no MS Word experience, but proficient with another word processing application
- None of the above
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents