- Establishes divisional operating policies and procedures.
- Plans, organizes, manages and monitors the work activities of the division and supervises division staff.
- Coordinates assigned activities with others involved in land development and related matters.
- Supervises the preparation and maintenance of a master plan for the physical development of the City, the collection and analysis of data for environmental, current and future planning purposes, and the administration of zoning and subdivision codes.
- Participates in the review of applications for zone changes and land use variances. Recommends revisions of local codes.
- Confers with property owners, land developers, neighborhood organizations, business and civic leaders and the general public regarding development and use of land in the City and understands economic realities of development.
- Manages the duties associated with Planning Commission and Historic Resources Commission agendas and related activities.
- Assists in the preparation and administration of the departmental budget.
- Establishes division goals and objectives, incorporating Total Quality Service principles into division procedures and practices.
- Prepares City Council and Commission agenda items and reports, and responds to inquiries from the public and elected officials.
- Performs other duties and functions as required.