|Job type||Full Time|
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position will consist of leading crews in operating various types of equipment such as; weed eaters, riding mowers, farm tractors, sweepers, dump trucks, paint striping equipment, saw cutters, and scarifiers on a regular basis. Other duties also include bending squatting and lifting up to 90 pounds alone. The use of front end loaders and backhoes will be operated on an intermittent basis.
This position requires a Valid Class "B" Commercial Driver's License ( CDL ). Specific endorsements may be required to be obtained within (90) days of hire or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. Must maintain a good driving record. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite.
To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. To be considered for employment in this position, applicants must comply with Department of Transportation, Federal Regulations and the Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing rules as outlined by the City of Austin Drug and Alcohol Policy for Drivers of Commercial Motor Vehicles. Pre-employment drug and alcohol testing will be conducted on selected applicant. This position must travel between various locations as part of the regular job duties and individual will be required to drive a City vehicle. Position will also be required to drive on the AOA .
Veteran candidates will be required to provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of interview.
This position is categorized as essential personnel. Essential personnel are required to come to work during emergencies or bad weather at the airport if they are scheduled to work and in some cases when they are not scheduled.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK
The top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10 year criminal background check and security threat assessment.
GOOD STANDING - DEPARTMENT / DIVISION EMPLOYEES
Employees, in good standing, who are candidates within the department/division that the position resides in and who meet the minimum and preferred qualifications (if any) of the position will be included in the initial interview. Department/division employees must remain in good standing through the top candidate selection phase at which time the good standing status will be re-verified.
Must have the ability to read, write, and fluently speak in English.
Shift work includes shift differential incentive for evening and night shifts and weekends.
Overtime may be required with or without notice.
Shift may change according to departmental needs; work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekend work.
DEPARTMENT MAY CLOSE THIS JOB POSTING AT ANY TIME AFTER 7 DAYS .
$21.75 - $27.73
Sunday - Thursday 10:00pm - 7:00am.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting Reserved for City Employees
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Operates the following equipment: Hydraulic excavator, track loader, front end rubber tire loader, skid loader (bobcat), rubber tire front end loader, ASV track loader and catch basin cleaner.
2. Read and interpret work plans, assigning job duties, monitoring task completion and quality of work, as well as train and lead large, sometimes multiple work crews ; act as supervisor as needed.
3. Drives 12-yard dump truck and haul truck/trailer rig.
4. Repairs/installs storm drain pipelines and concrete drainage structures to reduce flooding.
5. Responds to flooding problems during storm events. Installs/replaces driveway culverts to reduce street & property flooding.
6. Oversees traffic control at job sites; places and gathers cones, warning signs and barricades; flags traffic
7. Checks that crew uses all required safety devices on jobsites including traffic control barricades & signs, trench boxes for trenches over (5) feet deep, adequate lighting for work at night and wear and use proper safety equipment.
8. Checks jobsite for marked hazards and one-call has market all utility lines.
9. Determines that sufficient material inventory and proper tools are available for job assignment.
10. Performs preventative maintenance on assigned equipment. Prepares daily activity reports, haul tickets, purchase receipts and pre-trip inspection.
11. Operates and performs maintenance on variety of equipment and power tools (i.e., pneumatic roller, paint push carts, thermal push cart, paint stripers, blowers, propane torches, grinders, paint rollers)
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Provides leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of the provisions in the Texas Motor Vehicle Code relating to the operation of motorized equipment on public streets and highways.
• Knowledge of the Texas Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices ( TMUTCD ) provisions.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws.
• Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
• Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
• Skill in planning and organizing.
• Ability to operate and maintain of a variety of light and heavy equipment.
• Ability to use two-way radios.
• Ability to produce finished quality construction with minimum rework.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires high school graduation or GED and five (5) years of experience related to construction or drainage maintenance, including three (3) years of heavy equipment operation experience. One (1) year of additional related experience may substitute for (1) year of high school up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
|Employer||City of Austin, TX|