|Job type||Full Time|
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin's Office of Police Oversight ( OPO ) is seeking a Business Process Specialist to review current and proposed APD policies, practices and procedures to determine whether they are aligned with best practices and community values as laid out in citywide initiatives, specifically Reimagining Public Safety.
We are looking for an experienced writer and researcher with strong analytical skills to assist our collaborative team with both long- and short-term projects.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with policy or legal experience related to criminal justice and policing, and demonstrated experience authoring and presenting written deliverables to varied audiences.
What will you be working on?
You'll have the chance to help develop OPO's policy portfolio and assist our office in facilitating a complete rewrite of APD's policy manual. Some of the policies you'll work on may include:
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history.
Statements such as "see resume" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes. The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information. We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
If you are selected as a top candidate:
An assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
What to include: Resume, cover letter and writing sample (5-page limit). Applications without the required writing sample will be considered incomplete.
$26.42 - $34.35
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Some evenings and weekends may be required based on business and operational needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Management Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 1520 Rutherford Ln. Austin, Texas 78754
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Assists in planning, executing and closing projects in a variety of operational and/or administrative situations related to specific assignments/areas.
2. Develops and maintains databases to support data analysis and research findings for business projects.
3. Assists in preparation of recommendations for implementation of new or revised policies, procedures, and/or process changes/improvements.
4. Write reports that summarize findings, data collection techniques, implementation options, etc.
5. Establishes project schedules using project planning software/tools, updates and maintains project status reports. Communicate project/process status.
6. Conduct research, analyze trends, determine accuracy and relevancy of data/information, and use sounds judgment to evaluate alternatives.
7. Facilitates and documents meetings, action items, and processes using flowcharting methodologies.
8. Maintains positive working relationships with managers, supervisors, employees and other stakeholders to gain their cooperation and support.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of business strategies, objectives, planning, development and management processes and process improvement
• Knowledge of research methodologies, cost/benefit analysis, statistics and financial modeling
• Knowledge of applicable City of Austin, state and federal statutes, ordinances and codes
• Knowledge of performance measures, quality improvement programs and project management methods
• Skill in oral and written communication using a variety of formats including: print communication, electronic format, presentations and telephonic
• Skill in using computers and related software applications
• Skill in data analysis and problem solving
• Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular data and situations
• Ability to work independently and with teams
Criminal Background Investigation This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications of this position are graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job, plus one (1) year of experience related to the job. Experience may be substituted for education up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of this position?
(Open Ended Question)
* Please summarize a research project for which you were responsible.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your data analysis experience and the decisions made based on that work.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience, including number of years, summarizing data, writing reports, and preparing presentations for staff, community stakeholders, and policy makers.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Other Document Resume Optional Documents
|Employer||City of Austin, TX|