Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus one (1) year of experience in a field related to the job.
- Graduation from the City of Austin Park Ranger Academy and Field Training Program within six (6) months of hire date.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
- Requires a valid Texas Driver License.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click
for more information.
The purpose of the Park Ranger I position is to serve as ambassadors for Austin's park system that promote responsible recreation, cultivate stewardship, and conserve parks' cultural and natural resources for the benefit of our entire community. Rangers must possess the ability to communicate and work effectively with Austin's racially, ethnically, gender fluid and socioeconomically diverse communities to showcase the departments commitment to providing equitable access, opportunities and enjoyment of our parks system by all.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Driver Safety Standards:
This position requires candidate to possess a valid Texas driver's license or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. If you cannot meet these conditions, you may be deemed ineligible for this position.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks may involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying, pushing, pulling or using a force equal to lifting up to one hundred (100) pounds. Work environment includes inside, and outside environmental conditions, extreme temperatures, and hazards associated with equipment operation including fumes, oils, gases and mists. Must be physically and mentally able to communicate, respond and work with participant's needs and safety issues.
- Posting Guidelines: PARD reserves the right to close posted positions prior to the advertised close date, based on recruitment strategies and business needs. This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$15.82 - $18.57 per hour.
Days and Hours/Work/Location Schedule Notes:
Job Close Date
- This is a 40 hour per week position and shifts for this position will vary.
- May be required to work during special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Work schedule and location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
2105 Andrew Zilker Rd, Austin, TX 78746
- Coursework in education, natural sciences, cultural studies, or related fields.
- Certified Interpretive Guide Training.
- StarGuard First Aid/ CPR certification.
- Experience coordinating with first responders and emergency scenes.
- Direct experience with wild land management and land conservation.
- Direct experience coordinating programs/classes.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of cultural and natural history of Central Texas.
- Ability to fluently communicate (reading, writing, speaking) in English, Spanish or other language.
- Experience with bike riding and hiking, sometimes over rough surfaces or inclines, while carrying backpack, tools, equipment, etc.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Patrols park facilities for unsafe and deteriorating conditions in City of Austin parks and facilities
2. Provides customer service and acts as a source of information and assistance to inform the public of park information, rules, regulations, laws, ordinances, and municipal codes
3. Assists first responder agencies, provides first aid and determines need for and requests emergency services
4. Anticipates and solves problems and/or provides reports to appropriate agency
5. Educates park visitors on park amenities, safety rules, and regulations
6 Issues notices of park exclusions for violations and determines need for and calls for police assistance
7. Completes incident reports and other routine documentation.
8. Organizes and/or administers educational programs for the public
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods
• Knowledge of city practice, policy, and procedures
• Knowledge of City safety rules, regulations, laws, ordinances and municipal codes
• Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing
• Skill in data analysis and problem solving
• Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities
• Ability to work in inclement weather and adverse conditions
• Ability to learn different skills and apply them to various job duties
• Ability to maintain division mandated physical fitness requirements
• Ability to swim at a basic skill level in open water environment
• Ability to undergo self-defense training to include various standard techniques and methods
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus one (1) year of experience in a field related to the job, and the ability to graduate from the City of Austin Park Ranger Academy and Field Training Program within six (6) months of hire date. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* I understand that if selected as the successful candidate for this position, I will be required to Graduate from the City of Austin Park Ranger Academy and Field Training Program within six (6) months of hire date to remain in the position.
- Yes, I understand I will need to graduate from the City of Austin Park Ranger Academy and Field Training Program within six (6) months of hire date to remain in the position.
* As related to this position, list all certifications to the Park Ranger vocation that you currently possess - such as but not limited to Certified Interpretive Guide, Leave No Trace, Wildland Fire, EMS/EMT, Wildlife Rescue, Project Wild, Basic Wildland Fire Training, Basic and Intermediate FEMA Incident Command, etc.
(Open Ended Question)
* Have you completed college coursework in Education, Natural Sciences or Cultural Studies?
* Do you have knowledge of cultural and natural history of Central Texas?
* Describe your experience with wildland management and land conservation.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience working with diverse populations and/or communities.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have 6 months or more experience with bike riding and hiking, sometimes over rough surfaces or inclines, while carrying backpack, tools, equipment, etc?
* Do you have 6 months or more experience coordinating programs and/or classes?
* This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
* The ideal candidate will possess the ability to work with regular and recurring exposure to moderate discomforts including high, low and extreme temperatures, confined spaces and/or adverse conditions. Are you able to meet these conditions with or without reasonable accommodation?
* If selected for this position, the relevant work history on your application is used to determine your rate of pay. Your submission of a complete application is critical to the pay calculation. Your overall relevant experience from your employment application will be used in this calculation, not the resume or cover letter. Do you understand these statements?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* This position requires a valid Texas Driver's License. Do you have a valid Texas Driver's License or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Driver's License by your hire date?
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents